The mahogany, pine and oak cabinet, with copper mounts was designed by Philip Webb and painted by William Morris (1834–1896). The painted scenes are from the legend of St George and the Dragon and include Morris and his wife amongst the characters depicted.
The highly decorated St George's Cabinet demonstrates Morris' love of romance. It was painted by Morris for the 1862 International Exhibition in London, to show the products of his new interior design company, Morris & Co. Although the press praised its 'true medieval spirit', the decoration of St George and the Dragon is a piece of pure Victorian romantic narrative.
Listen to the audio below for the views of different generations on the cabinet by Morris.